Like a lot of people I have a smart phone, in my case an iPhone. Over the two years that I have been using the iPhone I have tried hundreds of apps, some are good, some are great others are useless. Here, in no particular order, are my top five iPhone apps:
- Analytics Agent Pro: I tried the free version and upgraded almost immediately. It is based on the Google Analytics API and gives you access to your analytics account. The app gives you access to most of the information that you get through Google itself. I find it very useful to get a quick overview on what is happening with particular sites. I can see the number of visitors, whether they are new or returning visitors, the bounce rate, traffic source such as direct visitors, referrals and where they came from and perhaps most useful which search engines people have used and the keywords they have used to find the site. All of this can help me to identify what is working and what is not working within a site even when I am away from my PC.
- Serps: This is a great free app for checking your ranking with Google. You start by adding a domain and then add the keywords that you want to check for that domain. The app then gives you a listing of the top 100 sites for the search term and your place within it. The app was recently updated and now tells you your ranking at the top of the results page so you do not have to scroll down to find your chosen site. It also stores the position that your site has for each term so you can quickly see if you are moving up or down the rankings.
- FTP On The Go: This is another app that I find really useful when I am away from my desk. It allows me to FTP in to any of my sites and upload or download files. I can edit text files with the built in editor and then upload them again. It even has a built in browser so you can view your changes without leaving the app.
- HootSuite: I am currently using the free version of this but will be upgrading to the pay version later today. HootSuite allows you to update your Twitter and Facebook accounts from the same location as well as seeing info from your own news feeds. If you are reading this because you saw a link to it on either my Facebook or Twitter pages then you are here because of HootSuite.
- WordPress: Only downloaded the WordPress app yesterday and so far I have used it once, but I know it will become a favourite with me. I can now post to my blog from just about anywhere, which will be priceless when I get a flash of inspiration and cannot get to my PC or laptop.
So these are my five favourite apps, what about yours?
Oh and one final thing, if by some strange miracle you are reading this Mr Jobs, how about making a phone that works really well as a phone? The iPhone is fabulous in so many ways, but the number of times that a call drops is just infuriating. I might have to try the Nexus-1 for a comparison.